I do a LOT of presentations at UGs each year, this year it has been ~20 so far.
My presentation style has evolved a LOT over the last 10 years (but that is a topic for another blog post).
I like experimenting with Git (as a previous blog post talked about) https://davidburela.wordpress.com/2012/04/17/developer-blog-banter-3-responsecommunity-coding/ I thought I would share 2 of my experiments below, both were with using Git in different ways.
Video recording with time-coded code samples.
This was my favourite experiment. I did a presentation at TechEd, and had the video uploaded to Channel 9. http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/TechEd/Australia/2012/DEV214
My session was a code heavy presentation that showed how to implement MVVM from base principles. I took one application, and evolved it through many stages: code behind, MVVM (one time binding), INPC, Commanding, through to Portable Class Libraries. There were a lot of concepts to cover.
I wanted to release my code samples, but as there were so many concepts it would have been difficult to create many small samples to show these. Instead I decided to take my video recording, and retrace the steps I did during the presentation. As I went through it, I then did a commit at important stages throught the presentation, and put the timecode into the commit message. That way people following along in the video could quickly jump to any commit and see the code at that point in the video
Live presentation notes, with GitHub repo + README.md
Last weekend I did a 4 hour presentation for Beijing Xamarin Hack day http://xamarinhackday.com/beijing.
As this was a non-English speaking crowd, I thought I would change how I did the presentation.
Rather than use slides and talk lots without assistance (which could easily lose them due to language), I instead opened up Notepad and started typing up the agenda in front of them. This let them see the English words of what I was talking about, and let them get a detailed overview of what I would be covering during the day.
It again was a code heavy presentation showing basic cross platform MVVM concepts using PCL & Xamarin.Form to have the same app run on WinPhone/Android/iPhone.
At the end of the presentation, I was able to take my plain text notes I had written live in front of them and convert them directly into nicely formatted MarkDown on GitHub. I simply added “===” and “—“ to specify the H1 and H2 headings.
I then uploaded the final source code straight to a GitHub repo, so that the attendees could take what I had built in front of them, and then extend it during the rest of the Xamarin HackDay event.
If you haven’t played with MarkDown yet, consider it the next time you need to quickly put together a nicely formatted notes.
Here is the raw .txt of the ReadMe
Raw text: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/DavidBurela/XamarinBeijingHackDay-Demo/master/README.md
And it nicely formatted when rendered as MarkDown: https://github.com/DavidBurela/XamarinBeijingHackDay-Demo#readme